|e s t e l l e • W I N T E R S (winstell) wrote,|
@ 2016-08-30 16:32:00
plastic tubes and pots and pans.
FULL NAME: Estelle Winters
NICKNAMES: Stella, Specks
DOB: August 2nd, 1983
PLACE OF BIRTH: Brooklyn, New York
ROLE Men of Letters
MARITAL STATUS: Single
PARENTS: Desmond & Anna
SIBLINGS: Harry [younger brother]
• Has a Masters in Engineering from Columbia University; minored in biomedical science.
• Still uses her brother as her test subject.
• Is well aware she looks like Egon Spengler from The Real Ghostbusters, thank you.
• Won't physically fight you, but she'll lick any part of your face for a Reese's cup...
• Shameless flirt, shameless. If she's not making you uncomfortable, then she's not succeeding.
• Glasses; she needs them, they are not a fashion statement. She refuses contacts because do you seriously know all the things that could go wrong with them? You could get punched and they can break, they can slip up into your eye socket, you can get Acanthamoeba keratitis.
• Talks to herself in the lab, and bursts into spontaneous song and dance.
• Idolizes Nikola Tesla.
• Has a sample of Ventala venom she keeps in a Diet Coke bottle.
• Her biomedical science minor has given her advantages with developing specialized weapons based on species.
• Likes to drink and science when not "on-the-clock" which has resulted in many breakthroughs, as well as broken items/spirits.
• Sets her house/work space on fire at least once a week.
• Enjoys making a mess with the weapons she develops.
• Gets her clothes from thrift stores, but cleans up nicely if needed.
• Loves her brother. But it is an honest to God miracle that he is still alive. Legit, she's run the numbers, and he defies all logic.
• Currently researching the practical uses of ectoplasm in bio weapons. So, slime.. she plays with slime.
IT'S MY CREATION, I DO NOT KNOW.
The Winters' should have suspected their daughter's knack for science when she began to take apart her toys as a toddler and put them back together however she pleased. This was always Estelle's way of thinking; what was it made of, how did it work, and what could make it better? Life in Brooklyn, New York was simple and full of wonderful 80's fads and scientific exploration with a side of scrappiness. It was relatively quiet until the Decker family moved in down the street. They had three kids; Elliott being the oldest and the one that Estelle grew closest to. He liked her inventions, she liked his monster stories. That and his quietness in school was too tempting for Estelle not to challenge. Their families grew closer, and before they knew it, all three Decker kids were spending the weekend at the Winters' house while their parents were "out of town." After a little over a year, Estelle had cornered Elliott and questioned him about the vacationing habits of his parents, and the fact that he disappeared for nearly the entire summer with his father and strangely brought no souvenirs back with him. Needless to say, she found out about the Decker legacy.
Once she got a younger brother, Harry, she was able to test her inventions out on someone else and not the neighbor's dog. As the Winters grew older, those harmless experiments turned to an actual pass-time. Stella began keeping a science journal once her brother was old enough to drive the rocket-powered go-karts she built. Her friendship with Eli, or Chewbacca as she started calling him in high school since he towered over her, grew to be one of trust — and life-saving. Despite being three years apart, they were in the same grade thanks to Estelle being able to test out of middle school. Destined to be short, Eli saved her from bigger high school bullies -- and in return she saved his life during their senior year. As well as in college.
Estelle remained on her path, pursuing her degree in Engineering at Columbia University -- even though it wasn't necessarily in the cards for her dear friend. After his parents died he dropped out of college to take care of his family, and she began to see less of him. Eventually he decided to leave New York, a decision that broke her heart, but knowing what she did from Eli about hunters, she understood.
Before parting ways, Elliott had given Estelle's information to the Men of Letters — who were quick to contact her shortly after he left. Like full-on stalking her in her classes and listening to her phone conversations for a week before actually coming forward and offering her a position. She accepted, but only after convincing the organization to allow her to continue her education and finish with a Masters as she wanted. Her training time with the Men of Letters felt like an extension of college, to be honest. She had to work her way up, though admittedly in the Men of Letters it was easier to be noticed in a group of twelve opposed to a lecture hall of over four hundred students. Estelle developed a prototype, alongside coworkers, of the first ever UV bullets — that is until a mole stole said prototype and not six months later, the government had them. Despite the hiccup, Estelle was quickly noticed and given a small team of three to be in charge of.
Her work within the Men of Letters opened her eyes to the world, and the supernatural. She was sent all over the globe and met all kinds of hunters, slayers, witches, and even Templars. Most importantly, it kept her in constant contact with Eli and she was able to drag her brother along most of the time. She didn't graduate the top of her class, a sacrifice she had to make in order to finish her training early, but she did get distinction. Personally, it didn't matter too much, she already had her job with the Men of Letters -- which was far more fascinating and constantly changing more than any other job she could have possibly gotten.
Over the years she's given out her prototypes to friends, or even acquaintances she felt could use them the right way, and continued to travel -- all the while letting her brother couch-surf. Recently, however, the Men of Letters assigned her to Seattle in order to help combat the growing supernatural forces.
magic and technology, voodoo dolls and chants.
⇥ As a Men of Letters member she's well-versed in supernatural knowledge and has access to files/research from Headquarters.
⇥ Has experimented both with weaponry as well as witchcraft in battling supernatural forces. Weaponry moreso than witchcraft, she couldn't cast a spell to save her life.
⇥ Munitions expert; though she is not an expert shot. Has the aim of a Stormtrooper.
⇥ As an engineer (mechanical, mostly) she has an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. She also relies on the help of computer-aided design, and product lifecycle management to design and analyze different types of aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices, weapons, and others. Her work with the Men of Letters keeps her primarily in the robotics/medical/weapons fields.
PB: Kate McKinnon